Maximising your Contract search during the holidays
As we know there can be a dip in the uptake of new staff in the holiday season, primarily due to decision makers being away on holiday. But this is not a time to rest a lot can be achieved to ensure you are at the front of the quew for any job opportunities.
Here are some tips to brush up on your contract career in the holiday season;
- Update your CV – making sure your CV is tip top is a great way to ensure those employers pick it up and read it, think of how to make yourself stand out, make sure your skills are clear and concise and also relevant. Your CV should promote your personal brand stating clearly the skills and experience you have what personal strengths you offer, and what it is you seek in terms of employment or engagement. Doing this now is preparing yourself for when all the jobs come to the market. If you’re prepared it shows employers like that!
- Distribute your CV – send your CV out to anyone you know that could operate as an effective contact to your job search. If you have been contracting before you will have a list of contacts, if new using a service like BITE’s Job search database with its thousands of contacts can be the tool you need. Alternatively gain a directory of agents and software houses and send your CV to the m cold with a well worded cover note.
- Feature on the main Industry databases – once you have sent your CV out to recruitment agencies software houses and companies follow up with a phone call. Don’t necessarily ask for a job but ask to be placed on the database with a note stating you are flexible and immediately available, then explain your core skills and strengths and what you offer as a unique selling point (what differentiates you from the average candidate).Consider a contractor marketing services that will help distribute your CV to key decision makers. Bite’s service will send you out to over 3,000 clients.
- Remember social media works! Places like LinkedIn are fantastic platforms to showcase yourself to companies who are actively seeking employees. While you are in the holidays ensure that you are keeping your profile up to date and contacting anyone who may of viewed your profile, remember they could be a prospective employer so be sure to make an impression! If you can develop your network and lock it into BITE’s huge career network.
- Practice your interview technique – on friends/ family. Why not use a consultancy like ours? Here at BITE we offer complete contact training for all of our clients. Why not train now ready for the peak job search period after the holidays and get ahead of the crowd.
Remember most people see the holiday periods as a time to relax and enjoy them but invest time meaning you are prepared and ready for any job opportunity that becomes available you will be one of the stand out candidates ready to take on any task!